Monday, November 13, 2006

So over the weekend, I went to my cousins wedding with my girlfriend. My cousin, like myself, is of the christian religion. Her new husband, is jewish. Now to me, that doesn't create a problem aside except for a few issues of ceramony and that sort of thing. And they actually addressed that, having a surprisingly nice jewish/christian wedding. There was a priest and a rabbi, who both did part of the service. They combined traditions and it turned out very well. My cousins parents looked very happy about the entire thing, and were in an excellent mood, the stress of their first and only daughter getting married aside. However, the grooms parents looked absolutly miserable the entire time. From what I understood, they were very upset that their son was not marrying a jewish girl. I didn't see the grooms mother smile once, and her sister had a scowl on her face throughout the whole ceremony.

Silly me, I know. My idealisitic ways would think that parents would be happy for their son the day he makes the most important decision of his life. But what do I know. Apparently they have the right to be miserable because their son is marrying outside of the religion. God forbid. Seriously, I'm sure they would've liked God to forbid that. It's just sickening really. The two of them were so happy together, and my aunt and uncle were so happy for the whole thing, and they were miserable. There was even a fight at the reception within their family. I didn't see it, so I don't know about what, but somebody was shouting "shut up shut up" and stormed out and left. What a wonderful way to celebrate a wedding, by being selfish and putting the wishes of yourself before those of your child.

Now I understand that sometimes a parent should put their wishes before their child, such as the wish they do well in school, not do drugs, etc. But from my view, of your child is so in love that they want to marry someone, that isn't something you try and change. It shouldn't matter if they're man, woman, black, white, jewish, christian, catholic, or muslim.

Overall the ceramony was very nice, and I had a great time, but that little thing just bugged me all day. How selfish and ignorant of the parents to act that way on their sons wedding day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eyezaku said...

Hi Chris- Nice blog. Keep up the good work.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home